Vikings Playoff chances /Scenarios
RJ
2012-12-19 04:42:15 UTC
With 2 weeks left, the Vikings currently hold the last wild card
playoff spot in the NFC. I admit I didn't think we would have a spot
at this point, and the Vikings impressed me the last 2 weeks.
Although the media made such a big deal some weeks ago about the
Vikings poor tiebreaker match ups, we actually have 3 teams chasing us
who now we beat in a tiebreak. (Cowboys, Giants and Bears all are 8-6
like us).
If the Redkins win their division (that they currently lead in) as I
hope, then they won't compete with us for our wildcard spot and their
tiebreak advantage over us would be mute. The Bucs are now 6-8 so
their tiebreaker advantage over us is now mute too. Only the Seahawks
tiebreak advantage is one we won't overcome, but we may not need to.

The teams chasing us (Cowboys, Giants and Bears) is an interesting
scenario. I am most worried about Chicago catching us, which will I
will discuss later at the end. We have things both for and against
us.

Against us:
Our remaining 2 games are very tough (on paper anyway) while the teams
chasing us have easier games.

For us:
If we win our remaining 2 games we are in regardless, so we control
our own destiny so to speak.
Also, even though both our games are against top teams, (Texans and
Packers) those teams may not end up being as tough as they look. The
Texans have almost everything wrapped up including the bye, except for
homefield through out. That's mainly what they would be playing for
if they play all their starters. Also, the way they got blown out
against the Patriots and Packers,(their only 2 losses) makes them look
almost beatable for us if they were to have a bad game.

Regarding our last game against the Packers, that everyone is so
worried about, but the time that game is played, the Packers might not
have much to play for and perhaps would not even play Rogers. If so,
that would be huge, especially since we are at home.

Bottom line we could certainly win one of those 2 games, but it may
not be enough.

The team I am most of afraid of taking our spot though is the Bears. I
feel they will win both of theirs (Cardinals and Lions)and finish
10-6.

It would mean we must finish 10-6 also.
The Cowboys and Giants may not catch us or the Bears, but have the
luxury of not needing too. They only need to catch the Redskins and
thus become a division winner -automatically in playoffs.

RJW
RJ
2012-12-22 00:22:46 UTC
Correction to my previous post:
Even if the Vikings win their last 2 games (Texans and Packers) that
does not guarantee we will make the playoffs.
So we do not control our own destiny as I had thought.
Unusual situation. It is the Giants that control their own destiny
even though they are not currently holding a playoff spot. They have
the same record as us, and if we both win out, apparently they then
pass us in a tiebreaker.

RJW